The 2013 New Orleans Triathlon and Big Easy Sprint are fast approaching. We welcome you to New Orleans and look forward to producing two amazing races and giving you a great triathlon experience! Keep current on updates regarding the races at www.neworleanstriathlon.com.
Online registration for the New Orleans Triathlon and the Big Easy Sprint Triathlon will be available until midnight, Thursday, May 23, 2013.
- New Orleans Triathlon – Register Here: http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=2066150
- Big Easy Sprint Triathlon – Register Here: http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=2066160
- Race weekend registration is available on Saturday, May 25, 2013 only at South Shore Harbor.
- New Orleans Triathlon race weekend registration is $150.00 for individuals and $200 for relays.
- Big Easy Sprint Triathlon race weekend registration is $120 for individuals and $160.00 for relays.
2013 HY-VEE 5150 US CHAMPIONSHIP
The New Orleans Triathlon will again serve as a qualifying race for the 2013 Hy-Vee 5150 US Championship race on September 1, 2013. The top fifteen in each division (excluding relays) will qualify for the Championship race with the top five earning a free entry. After the race, Championship packets will be distributed near the awards table to the top fifteen in each division.
Qualifiers will receive an email within a week after the race with specific information on how to register for the Hy-Vee 5150 US Championship race.
AGE GROUP ELITE
If any athlete wishes to compete in the Age Group Elite category in the New Orleans Triathlon, please email email@example.com results from the last twelve months showing for men a 2:15 or under finish time and for women a 2:30 or under finish time for an Olympic distance race. Competing and qualifying in the age group elite category at the New Orleans Triathlon allows you to race at the Championship race as an Age Group Elite and therefore eligible to win a Mini Cooper.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
A schedule of the events race weekend can be found here: http://neworleanstriathlon.com/race-information/event-schedule/.
Please note the following additional information:
- Please review the Athlete Check-In hours carefully and plan your weekend accordingly. Please do not wait to pick up your packet on race morning if it can be avoided. We will not hold up the race start for late racers. Once transition closes, tardy racers will not be allowed to enter transition.
- Each athlete, whether an individual racer or a member of a relay team, must pick up their own race packet. We cannot make exceptions.
- Relay members can pick up their individual race packet separately from their other relay team members if more convenient.
- You must bring a government-issued photo ID and your valid USAT card (facsimile, smart phone copy, temporary printed card, etc.) if you are an annual USAT member to athlete check-in. If you are not an annual USAT member, it is likely you paid the one-day USAT race fee when you signed up online. If you did not pay the fee online when you signed up or if you are an annual USAT member and do not bring a valid USAT card to Athlete Check-In, you will be required to pay $12.00 (cash or check) for the one-day USAT race fee in order to get your race materials.
- Minors must be accompanied to Athlete Check-in by a parent. No exceptions.
- A schedule of the race briefings is included in the schedule of events. We strongly encourage all athletes to attend a race briefing. Course changes and race updates will be covered.
For the New Orleans Triathlon and the Big Easy Sprint, the swim will occur entirely within the protective walls of South Shore Harbor Marina. We anticipate the swim being wetsuit legal with water temperatures predicted at 68 degrees.
Click here to see a copy of the swim course map: http://neworleanstriathlon.com/course/swim/
New Orleans Triathlon – Athletes will proceed from transition to the area marked “Athlete Staging Area” on the swim course map.
- Professional triathletes will start the race in a wave start in the water.
- Age Group athletes and Relay athletes will begin the race in a time trial format with 2 athletes going into the water every 5 seconds.
Big Easy Sprint Triathlon – Athletes will proceed to area marked “Swim Exit” on the course map to begin their race.
- Starting at 7:30 a.m. athletes will enter the water 2 athletes every 5 seconds.
The bike course for the races is a simple out and back course with the New Orleans Triathlon athletes completing two loops and the Big Easy Sprint athletes completing a single loop of the course.
- Your bike number must be on your bike in order to bring the bike into the transition area.
- All athletes will have a reserved spot in transition which corresponds to his/her race number. Bikes should be racked by the seat so that a majority of the bike is on the side of the rack where the number is facing. If your bike cannot be racked by the seat, seek assistance from staff or volunteers in the transition area.
- Make sure you bring fluids on the bike course with you which equal the at least the amount used and needed while training for this race. There are no aid stations on the bike course.
- All athletes must have a bike helmet.
- No iPods or listening devices of any kind are allowed on the bike course or run course. It is a disqualification penalty if you race with headphones in your ears.
- Be aware of the mount and dismount line outside of the transition area
See the map of the bike course here: http://neworleanstriathlon.com/course/bikecourse/
The run course for the races is also an out and back run course with the New Orleans Triathlon athletes completing two loops of the run course and the Big Easy Sprint athletes completing a single loop of the course.
- Aid stations on the run will be at every mile marker. You will find the following items at the run aid stations:
See the map of the run course here: http://neworleanstriathlon.com/course/run/
- Body marking will occur race morning outside of the transition area.
- Your timing chip is in your race packet. It should be secured to your ankle prior to the race using the strap provided to you at packet pickup. It should be worn during the entire race. It will be collected from you in the finish line chute.
- Should you decide to quit the race at any time during the event it in imperative that you notify race personnel at once so that staff can be notified.
- RELAYS:The biker and runner should wait by the numbered bike rack for their relay swimmer to return to the bike. When the swimmer returns, the timing chip is transferred to the biker, at which time the biker can unrack their bike and proceed to the bike course. When the biker returns, he/she racks the bike then transfers the timing chip to the runner. The runner should pick up medals for each member of the relay team upon crossing the finish line.
- Race photographs will be available at www.finisherpix.com after the race.
- New Orleans Triathlon – The top five in each division will win an award which will be given out at the awards ceremony.
- Big Easy Sprint – The top three in each division will win an award which will be given out at the awards ceremony.
- Each member of a relay team who places will receive an award.
- If you are attending the awards ceremony and hear the name of a friend, please pick up their award for them.
- Any awards not picked up can be obtained from the Premier Event Management office. Please call 504-454-6561 or email Kristina at Kristina@pem-la.com.
To make sure your Check-In goes smoothly, please review your registration information here: http://neworleanstriathlon.com/start-lists/
- Please note age groups are based on your age as of 12/31/13 pursuant to USA Triathlon rules.
- If your name misspelled or if there is an issue with the division listed on the start list, please contact the Director of Registration, Susan McManus, at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to race weekend.
Just for fun, here are some statistics on our race field:
- Oldest Registered Athlete: 73 years old
- Number of US States Represented: 23
- Number of Countries Represented: 12
- Athletes in the Professional Field: 21
PRO ATHLETE HOMESTAYS
Some of the professional athletes participating in the New Orleans Triathlon are seeking homestays for their time in New Orleans. Please contact Heather Fuhr at email@example.com if you are interested in hosting a professional triathlete in your home.
We look forward to seeing you race weekend!
Premier Event Management